Non-award study

Understand how to receive exemptions for Foundation and Actuary Program subjects.

Woman writing on board

What if I don't get the exemptions for my Foundation or Actuary Program studies?

Whether you didn't receive an exemption in your accredited actuarial study, or you need to complete individual subjects to access the Actuary and Fellowship programs, non-award study offers you ways to get on the right track.

Foundation Program

There are two options to receive your missing exemptions across Actuarial Statistics (CS), Actuarial Mathematics (CM), and Business Finance and Economics (CB) subjects during your degree studies:

  • Enrol in Foundation subjects with us and sit the UK Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) examinations. Visit our enrolments and exams page for more information.
  • Enrol in non-award study (single unit enrolment) at one of the accredited universities to complete required subject(s) for the exemption(s). You can start by looking at the university degrees available.

Actuary Program

You can enrol in non-award study at one of the accredited universities to complete required subject(s) for the exemptions relating to the Actuarial Control Cycle and Data Science Principles.

Actuarial Control Cycle subjects^


Non award study table

Data Science Principal subjects^



^Information has been collated from universities, but occasionally circumstances lead to changes in subject offerings. Please ensure you confirm options with the university directly.

Non-award study at our accredited universities

Each university has a slightly different process for non-award study. You should apply with plenty of time for your application to be processed. Upon completion of your studies, having met the required academic standards, you may apply and be awarded the subject exemptions.

The following links will provide more details from each university:

  • Bond University – visit the appropriate subject page; Actuarial Control Cycle (ACSC71-400 and ACSC71-401) or Data Science Principles (DTSC71-302). You apply through the standard application process and select “not for degree” study.
  • Victoria University of Wellington – visit the individual course enrolment website. You will enrol in a ‘Certificate of Proficiency’ for the subject(s) you need to meet your exemptions.

If you need assistance, the contacts for the nominated accredited actuaries are on our accredited uni page.

Helpful links

graduation-cap (2) (1)

Our qualifications

Education at the Institute

user-identifier-card (1)

Become a member

Join our actuarial community

bag-suitcase-2 (1)

Jobs for actuaries

Browse career opportunities